Yes, it’s a Sellers Market
Sellers, you have finally decided now is a good time to sell. You know the market is hot and a property that is priced appropriately, shows nicely and is marketed well, will fetch an acceptable offer fairly quickly. You have thought about For Sale By Owner and decided that in order to get the above 3 done well – by an expert – you’ll select a Real Estate agent and pay them a commission to work for you. Your goal is to get the best possible price in a time frame that is suitable to you, right?
So when you interviewed your agent, did they say they would cut corners, fabricate a few details, be unavailable or unwilling to foster working relationships with agents bringing you a buyer? Probably not. But then, did you ask the tough questions or did you take it for granted that we are all created equal, work equally hard and with integrity?
All agents are not created equal. You deserve someone to work diligently on your behalf, even when you are not looking or have not asked them specifically to! An agent with integrity and strong work ethic will actually save you time and money. If you are reading my Seller Market pet peeves and something sounds familiar… You can do better!
Seller’s Market Pet Peeves – Top 5
1. Showing times and dates that are so restrictive, buyers can’t see the place within a reasonable time. Listing the showing number for a showing service, when the service DOESN’T have the listing yet (and you tell us it’s ready for showings). Or even better, Realtor lists their own number to set showings then sets an “out of office” auto-reply and goes on vacation!
2. Advertising a bedroom that doesn’t exist! An extra wide hallway with no door or walls doesn’t constitute a bedroom. Neither does some finished square footage at the bottom of the stairs in the basement.
3. Never replying to the offer submitted… Yes, it was full priced and cash. And the listing is required to present it to the Seller then at least tell the buyer’s agent it was rejected. (Tick the box on the contract to buy that says “Rejected” and have seller initial it… That’s what its there for!)
4. Greedy list prices just because its a Sellers market. Whether its by agent or seller design, it’s not in the best interest of the Seller to have their property sit there in the best selling market we have seen in years. Now buyers think there is something wrong with it.
5. Barely there MLS listing info with a “go see for yourself attitude” and one line stating that when seller will review your offer. No information as to which level the bedrooms are located on or how big they are. No remarks about the location, views, new windows etc. Just the minimal square footage requirements to be in the MLS. Or, no pictures of the house, even after after stating it has been updated and nicely decorated.