A Boulder Colorado Real Estate Buyer is too smart to settle for a high priced, but crappy house!
Yahoo Finance recently published an article in which several real estate agents were interviewed and a list of buyer turnoffs was compiled. After reading the article I wondered about a couple of things.
Firstly was that the article interviewed agents outside of Colorado… and seemed to imply a buyer’s Market. I.E. A market in which the Buyer could afford to hold out for something better. They could expect to negotiate a discount if it didn’t meet most of their needs and they could overall, be a bit pickier.
As a Realtor on the Front Range, I can tell you that the market has changed over the last couple of years. The Boulder Colorado real estate buyer market of 2010 and 2011 faded fast in 2012. We are and have been experiencing competitive bids, short days on market (for those priced right and showing well) and a lot of generalized Boulder Colorado real estate buyer frustration at the lack of inventory and increased pressure to make quick decisions.
Sounds like more of a Boulder Colorado real estate seller’s market to me!
However, if the seller prices the home above market for its condition, it will SIT. Then the price will drop. And no, that Boulder CO seller will not experience the high of watching buyers compete for their Boulder Colorado real estate!
Secondly, while I thought that wallpaper and dated fixtures were a tad off-putting, I thought of a few other things that turn off my Boulder County real estate buyers even quicker…
3. Old Fixtures
5. Popcorn Ceilings
6. Too Many Personal Items
7. Snoopy Sellers
8. Misrepresenting Your Home
9. Poor Curb Appeal
Dallice’s Top 10 Turnoffs for a Boulder Colorado Real Estate Buyer:
1. Dirt (Generalized filth… moldy bathrooms, sticky kitchen floors and grimy appliances, pet hair.)
2. Odors (Garbage, boy socks, wet dog, cigarette smoke… and yes, offensively strong air fresheners.)
3. Poor curb appeal (It is assumed if the outside is crappy, the inside will be too.)
4. Deferred maintenance (It says something about the Seller and now we have a trust issue.)
5. Dark rooms (Overgrown foliage outside, closed window coverings, poor interior lighting, dark decor.)
6. Misrepresenting your home (If it’s beside Boulder’s nicest mobile home part, tell us that upfront.)
7. Clutter (There is no upside to clutter. Rooms feel small and look dark.)
8. Snoopy sellers. (Leave my Boulder Colorado real estate buyer alone so they can see the property… Or they will run away!)
9. Nasty decor (I include popcorn ceilings, fixtures, flooring, old appliances and poor taste, here.)
10. Shoddy home improvements (Don’t do it yourself unless you know what you are doing!)
Seller’s market or not, there is never a good reason to throw away an opportunity to impress a Boulder Colorado real estate buyer and sell your Boulder County property.
As a Realtor and Staging Professional, it absolutely makes me cringe to see Boulder area real estate sellers either not getting good advice about what sells – or not taking that advice.
I’ve said it before and I will say it again…
You are paying good money and deserve good advice.
Follow that good advice and it will pay for itself!